The First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) is an independent authority within the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). Headquartered in Reston, Virginia with offices in Washington, D.C., Boulder, Colorado and other regions of the U.S., FirstNet is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a highly talented diverse workforce.
FirstNet is a great place to build your career and be rewarded for your efforts. Those chosen to serve with FirstNet receive competitive compensation, full comprehensive federal benefits, flexible work life balance, and professional growth. If you’re a high performance individual interested in a challenging meaningful career with a bright future, we invite you to learn more about us.
Current Job Openings
A FirstNet career offers you an opportunity to work for a great federal agency and serve our Nation. That is why we are looking for the best people – the most qualified and highly motivated professionals to serve in the areas of:
- Communications and Outreach
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Public Safety (Mission Support)
For current and specific job opportunities, please visit firstnet.usajobs.gov. Interested applicants may apply directly through the vacancy announcements provided on the USAJobs website to receive consideration for positions. Each announcement includes details and instructions on how to apply along with required materials to include with your application.
How to Apply
Your time is valuable. By reading the job announcement carefully, you can ensure your job search efforts are concentrated only on positions for which you meet the area of consideration and qualification requirements. Announcements will provide information about the position including the job title, duties, location, qualification requirements, who can apply (area of consideration) and details on how to apply.
Many FirstNet jobs also require appointment eligibility. If you have appointment eligibility, you can apply on any FirstNet vacancy announcement provided your eligibility is included in the area of consideration. You must submit proof of your appointment eligibility at the time you apply. If you do not have appointment eligibility, you can only apply for jobs advertised through the Delegated Examining Unit (DEU). DEU announcements are easily recognized by the job announcement prefix which will always begin with "D." DEU announcements are open to all U.S. citizens.
Understanding Vacancy Announcements
Vacancy announcements are listed under Delegated Examining Unit or Merit Promotion Program:
- Delegated Examining Unit - The Delegated Examining Unit (DEU) is a unit that is granted authority by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). This authority gives DOC the ability to fill competitive civil service jobs with:
- Applicants applying from outside the Federal workforce;
- Federal employees who do not have competitive service status; or
- Federal employees with competitive service status
- Merit Promotion Program - Merit promotion is the system under which agencies consider an employee for vacant positions on the basis of personal merit. Vacant positions are usually filled through competition with applicants (current competitive service employees) being evaluated and ranked for the position on the basis of their experience, education, competencies and performance.
Appointments made by agencies through delegated examining authority are subject to civil service laws and regulations. This is to ensure fair and open competition, recruitment from all segments of society, and selection on the basis of the applicants' competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities (see 5 U.S.C.2301).
The Department of Commerce is ranked #2 in The Best Places to Work! The Department offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the benefits offered to most Federal employees at hr.commerce.gov/Employees/Benefits.
- Veterans Hiring
- Hiring Initiatives for Persons with Disabilities
- USAJOBS for Students and Pathways Program
FirstNet is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse workforce.