Up-to-date, reliable information is an invaluable tool for law enforcement officers. From running a license plate to identifying where other officers are located, knowing as much as you can about an incident improves safety and outcomes. But congestion on commercial wireless networks during a large event or emergency or a remote response location can limit your access to a data network — and the vital information you need. That’s where FirstNet can help.
Always-on connection, priority and preemption, innovative tools
FirstNet—the nationwide broadband network dedicated exclusively for public safety use—provides a secure, reliable broadband connection so officers can share data and make more informed decisions. Law enforcement officers nationwide rely on FirstNet and its suite of innovative tools, features, and services, including:
- High-speed, wireless network to communicate and share data with other public safety agencies and jurisdictions
- Improved real-time tracking and mapping of resources and personnel, including vertical location data for officers in buildings
- Secure live-streaming video from body-worn cameras, vehicles, and drones to provide a clearer operational picture
- Enhanced in-building wireless communications
- Ability to monitor FirstNet network status and view coverage in areas where responders are active or being deployed
- Network priority features for non-public safety partners that need to collaborate with first responders during an event
- A catalog of vetted, secure public safety and law enforcement apps
- FirstNet dedicated deployable assets, which can boost communications during natural disasters, major planned events, or in remote locations
- A suite of voice, data, and video mission-critical push-to-talk capabilities
Complementing radio networks, available for agencies or BYOD
FirstNet provides high‐speed data services and non-mission-critical voice to augment the capabilities of today’s Land Mobile Radio (LMR) systems. Because many law enforcement officers depend on their personal mobile devices on the job, FirstNet is available for qualified, individual first responders who want to transition to the FirstNet network.
For public safety, by public safety
Through a robust consultation effort, the First Responder Network Authority works with the law enforcement community to ensure the FirstNet network meets your needs.